Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Week #5 Update 02.12.08









Hello Family & Friends.

I was chatting with my mom tonight, and she was saying how many people are reading this. So to all of you who are reading, I say thank you.

We went camping this week at Hogar De Vida. Well we didn’t actually go anywhere, but the grandes (big kids) slept outside one night. We had a good time. I went into the vault of games from when I was a camp counselor at Seneca Hills http://www.senecahills.org/ and played Alien Egg Hunt with the kids. Alien Egg Hunt goes like this. First, hide a watermelon somewhere on the property. Second, give a dramatic speech about how aliens layed an egg here, and we need to find it before it hatches. Then, run around screaming. Finally, when the kids find the watermelon, throw it on the ground and eat all of it. It is a lot of fun. I probably have more fun than the kids.

The actual sleeping aspect of camping outside was a different story. We had four in a tent that would sleep two comfortably. Between the snoring, the ground, the bugs & the little hands hitting me every few minutes…I didn’t sleep much. I think I’m getting older.

Before bed we had a time to share around a campfire. When it was my turn, I talked about how this time here has helped me see God for who He really is. As a father figure at the Home, I do a fair amount of discipline. We usually have the kids sit for five minutes whenever they are bad and then say "I’m sorry" to whomever they just bit or kicked, etc. After the five minutes are up, we always end the punishment in hugs. Just because they are bad doesn’t change my love for them. I wait eagerly for the chance to hug them. If I, a sinner, don’t change my love for them when they are bad, how much more does our Heavenly Father continue to love us when we sin and wait patently for us to say we’re sorry a receive our hug.

So, what else is going on at Hogar De Vida? Summer has officially ended and school has begun. There was some moaning on Sunday night, but I think I can officially understand why parents enjoy the start of school every year. The picture is of Brandon and Kimberly, the two kids from the upper house who started school this week.

I can officially be called a killer of tarantulas (plural). The second was wasn’t nearly as exciting as the first. I killed it without much fanfare. I ask you dear reader, which is worst the first or the second? With the first you are awaken to the fact that they exist but then can keep it in the back of your mind that this was a one-time thing. The second isn’t as shocking at first, but now we know it wasn’t a one-time thing and there are probably more out there.
I had to go to town to the hardware store this week. Jessica was going to go with me, but it didn't work out with her schedule. In the end it actually went pretty well, and I must have looked like I knew what I was doing because a lady came up to me and asked for help. I had no idea what she was asking for so I hope I told her that I didn't work here and wasn't sure where that was, but I never really know what I'm saying.

Jess held a second cooking class. This time it was Peanut Butter Cookies. I like the fruits of these cooking classes. It was kind of fun to watch. Five kids really wanting to eat the cookie dough and Jessica doing her best to make sure they didn’t. Lots of finger licking that resulted in another trip to “Lave sus manos otro vez” (wash your hands again).

Jessica also had what I am dubbing the day of bodily functions. I won’t go into great detail but it was the day all the kids decided to do all their business - in various means and ways. Some with diapers, some without diapers. I enjoyed hearing her stories of never-ending trips to the bathroom. Here in Costa Rica men don’t change diapers.

Finally we just received word that Brandon (age 6) Pamela (almost 5) and Jacqueline (age 3) will be leaving Hogar De Vida this Thursday after visitation time. Jacqueline, besides being my co-anchor on my Superbowl Commentary, is also my favorite. I tried hard to not have a favorite, but I just can’t help it. Every time I see Jacqueline she gets this huge smile on her face that says “Hello you again. Why of course I would love to have you hold me.” And then runs with her arms up to me. Her first words are “Esta Suyo?” (Is this yours? - pointing at my t-shirt, water bottle, anything I am holding) After we establish that yes the clothes I am wearing are indeed mine, she asks “Tiene caca?” (Do you have to go to number 2?) I let her know that I am fine and thanks for asking.

Thinking about them leaving has left me pretty sad. When we found out they would be leaving, Jessica and I took all of them out for a paseo (a trip to town). We walked around town, watched a volleyball game and had some ice cream. It is a blessing that they are going home to their mom. Their situation should be better than the one that brought them to Hogar De Vida in the first place. However, it won't be perfect by any means, especially when two of the three kids suffer from major anger and ADHD tendencies. No matter how we feel about it now, all we can do going forward is pray for them. God’s word doesn’t come back void. They have heard the message of salvation for a year, and all we can do is pray for them - for salvation, protection and continued physical and emotional healing.

Thanks for reading. Please continue to send us your e-mails at jonandjessica@gmail.com. We enjoy reading what is going on in all of your lives. Please remember to pray for us as we finish out our final three weeks here, and especially remember us Thursday. It will be a tough day.
Love,
Jon & Jessica

P.S. - Gipsy is the cutie on the couch. She's almost two and loves to run and smile - and take off her shoes.